ZEISS Polymorph is a biodegradable, thermoplastic material used for molding component geometries. From a temperature of approx. 62°C onwards, the plastic begins to change into a gel-like structure. In this state it is easily kneadable and can be used for moulding component geometries. On cooling, the plastic returns to its original solid form and is then extremely stable and practically indestructible. The main areas of application are mould jaws for vices or jaw chucks.
However, the ZEISS Polymorph is also finding more and more applications in the field of computed tomography. ZEISS Polymorph is characterized by very good radiolucency and offers very good contrast differences compared to components made of any metallic alloy. With the radiography of plastic construction units against it ZEISS Polymorph is used only very limited, since the contrast differences (depending upon the material) are extremely small here.
ZEISS Polymorph can be easily combined with other materials and can also be machined very well if required. Thanks to its reusability, you can save yourself expensive adjustments in the event of changes by simply re-molding the component.
- prepare a container for ZEISS polymorph - e.g. a cup, bowl or similar container
- add pellets in a suitable quantity
- add boiling water to the container (ZEISS Polymorph melts at temperatures above 62 °C)
- Wait about one minute for the ZEISS Polymorph to become transparent
- Carefully remove the melted ZEISS Polymorph from the hot water and allow to drain
- Take a mould (Caution! ZEISS Polymorph may still be hot)
- Hand-mouldable, reusable - simply heat up for moulding
- No design effort
- No machine processing necessary
- Optimal for form jaws for vices
- Flexible applications in the CT area
- Environmentally friendly
- Crystalline polycaprolactone, similar in crystal structure to polyethylene
- Density: 1.21 g-cm-3
- Melting point: ~ 62 °C
- Tensile strength: 26 to 42 MPa
- Elongation at break from 600 to 1000
Scope of delivery:
- 1 kg plastic granules
Environmentally friendly, as the plastic is completely biodegradable and 100% free of harmful substances.